1. Eat a variety of foods within your recommended intake
- choose daily food from combination of food intake based on the Malaysian Food Pyramid with appropriate serving size as recommended .
- you need to balance calorie intake with physical activity and monitor body weight regularly . If you are an adult , prevent gradual wight gain over time . If you are overweight , try to lose weight steadily . If you are underweight , increase the energy intake as recommended .
3. Be physically active everyday
- involve in moderate intensity physical activity at least 30 minutes , five to six days a week . If you have intention to lose weight , it is recommended to engage in 45 to 60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity daily .
- moderate intensity physical activity are activities such as walking briskly (3 miles per hour or faster , but not race-walking) , water aerobics , bicycling slower than 10 miles per hour , tennis (doubles) and general gardening .
- While activities such as race walking , jogging , running , swimming laps , tennis ) singles) , aerobic dancing , hiking uphill or with a heavy backpack are considered as vigorous intensity activity .
4. Eat adequate amount of rice , other cereal products (preferably whole grain) and tubers
- consume at least four servings of cereal foods daily . Preferably choose whole grain and cereals products that are high in fiber , low in sugar , fat and salt .
5. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- consume at least five servings variety of fruits and vegetables daily .
6. Consume moderate amounts of fish , meat , poultry , egg , legumes and nuts
- If possible consume fish and legumes daily and moderate consumption for meat , poultry and egg . Practice healthier cooking methods .
7. Consume adequate amounts of milk and milk products
- consume milk and milk products everyday . If you have a lactose intolerance problem , pick lactose-free predigested milk product such as yogurt or consume more calcium fortified products .
- limit intake of saturated fat , cholesterol and trans fatty acids . Choose low-fat foods and increase intake of unsaturated fat such as olive oil and corn oil
10. Consume food and beverages low in sugar .
11. Drink plenty of water daily .
12. practice exclusively breastfeeding from birth until six months and continue to breastfeed until two years of age .
13. Consume safe and clean foods and beverages
- store foods appropriately , prepare foods hygienically , cook foods thoroughly